|Processes that minimize negative environmental impacts, conserve energy and natural resources, are safe for employees, communities, and consumers and are economically sound. Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Critical Work Functions
- Strive to minimize waste, improve efficiency, and reduce resource use.
- Operate with a triple bottom line, emphasizing financial profitability, environmental integrity, and corporate social responsibility.
- Understand life cycle analysis: the environmental and economic effects of a product at every stage of its existence, from extraction of materials through production to disposal and beyond.
- Suggest and/or implement continuous improvement actions.
- Abide by applicable federal, state, and local regulations and policies.
- Safeguard the public interest.
- Ensure equipment and systems are designed to minimize environmental impact.
- Seek to upgrade processes beyond pollution control to pollution prevention.
- Utilize advances in science and technology to upgrade levels of efficiency and environmental protection.
Technical Content Areas
- Promote sustainable business practices consistent with ISO 14001 International Environmental Management Guidance.
- Continuous Improvement
- Benchmarking and Best Practice
- Business Process Reengineering
- Data Analysis
- Performance improvement strategies
- Systems Analysis
- Flexible Manufacturing
- Product Grade and production
- Automated Recipes
- Automated Start-ups/Shutdowns
- Automated Product Transitions
- Plant-wide Feed-forward Control
- System Adaptation
- Plug and play
- Lean Manufacturing
- Systems Approach/Engineering
- Virtualization of Automation Systems
- Model Based Manufacturing (Virtual Plant)
- Green Manufacturing
- Resource Management
- Energy Management (WAGES – Water, Air, Gas, Electricity, Steam)
- Rate Structure
- Time of Use
- Co-Gen/Load Shedding
- Yield Optimization
- Recovery Optimization
- Process Reaction Optimization
- Recycle Optimization
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness/Efficiency
- Advanced Process Control
- Real Time Optimization
- Model Predictive Control
- Final Element Optimization (e.g. Valve Position Control)
- Override Control
- Supervisory Control
- 4R's (Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
- Waste Treatment/Handling
- Online Event Correlation
- Yield Calculation
- Energy Efficiency
- Production Rate
|Related Competency Model Resources:
||Search for additional resources
|Resource Name||Developer Name||Resource Type||Tier Type||
Sustainable Manufacturing 101 Module and Toolkit
International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce