Be sure to mention your networking contact's name. When you tell someone you will call, be sure to follow up. If they’re difficult to reach, keep trying. It’s your responsibility to connect. If you are using e-mail, use the following tips:
- Avoid nicknames or unprofessional names in your e-mail address.
- Keep messages short and to the point.
- Identify yourself in a professional manner.
- Introduce yourself with something of interest. Let them know right away why they might be interested in you.
- Be specific. For example, ask for information or ask to schedule a meeting.
- Give your message a descriptive subject.
- Finish with your intent to follow up. Provide an alternative way for the person to contact you. If you send e-mail to someone without their permission, find out if they would prefer some other form of communication. Include a phone number where they can reach you.
- Check for proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- If you do not receive a reply but are serious about making contact, call them and leave a message if necessary; do not text.