Skip to Content Skip over navigation
Local Help

Find an American Job Center:


Licensing and Certification

Licenses and certifications can help you demonstrate your skills and knowledge to employers.

State issued licenses are required for certain professions. If you are interested in taking examinations that will allow you to acquire a state-issued, professional license, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may provide funding for the license exam. Funding is for the exam fee but not for study material. Find information about state license requirements at Licensed Occupation.

Certifications are awards you can earn to demonstrate skill or knowledge in particular career fields. Earning a certification is voluntary and individuals who pass a certification exam are granted the certification. The VA may provide funding for the certification exam. Funding is for the exam fee but not for study material. Use the Certification Finder to find occupation and industry certifications.

The VA provides a comprehensive list of license and certification exams that are approved for funding, by state. (Note that on this page you will need to select “License” or “Certification” next to “Program type.”)