Skip to Content
Local Help

Find an American Job Center:


Find military and other records

Need to locate an important record? 

Simplify your search with the links below.

Civilian records

Follow the links below to request copies for vital records and identification cards.

  • Birth, death, marriage or divorce records . Learn where to request copies of vital records at this website from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  • Social Security cards can be replaced through the Social Security Administration .
  • If your driver’s license expired while you were stationed outside the United States, your state may grant you a grace period to renew. Find out how to renew your driver’s license.

Military Records

If you've been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy or Coast Guard, you can request military service records from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Find additional information for your branch below.

Air Force: Airmen who separated or retired on or after Oct. 1, 2004, may mail or fax a written request to:

550 C St. West, Suite 19
JBSA-Randolph, TX 78150
Fax: 210-565-4021, DSN: 665-4021
Organizational Email box:

Army: Read about Accessing or Requesting Your Official Military Personnel File Documents.

Coast Guard: Read about obtaining archived Coast Guard personnel records.

Marine Corps: Learn how to request your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), which is a history of your career from entrance into the Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve, until severance.

Navy: Learn more about how to locate and order your military personnel records from the Records Management Policy Branch.

Merchant Mariners: Contact the National Maritime Center (NMC) for mariner record requests.

Experience and Training Records

The Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET) Document, DD Form 2586, lists all your military experience and training. You can use this information to help write your resume or fill out applications for jobs, training or education. When applying at schools, show them a copy of your transcripts to find out if your military education and training can add credits toward a degree.

All service members except Coast Guard members can order a copy of their VMET online at Transition GPS.

Coast Guard: Use this records request form to request your VMET. 

Air Force: If you attended the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), request your transcripts here:

More veterans assistance

EBenefitsLogo eBenefits offers service members, veterans, and family members an easy way to access and manage benefits, claims, and documents.

National Resource Directory The National Resource Directory connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, their families and caregivers with those who support them.

Gold Card The U. S. Department of Labor's Gold Card provides unemployed post-9/11 era veterans with the follow-up services they need to succeed in today's job market.

Veterans Job Bank The Veterans Job Bank is a tool developed by National Resource Directory ( helps streamline the job search process for the military and Veteran communities.

Veterans Employment Center The eBenefits Veterans Employment Center (VEC) provides information and links to resources to help veterans find meaningful career opportunities and take advantage of special government and partner programs.

Find more resources in your own state

Locate local programs and more information by selecting your state below.