A well-written job description is one of the most important documents you’ll use in recruiting and managing your employees. Here are some basic ideas to help you get started.
Visit the Job Description Writer
For help in writing or revising your job descriptions, the Job Description Writer is a great place to start. With this tool you can:
- Follow a step-by-step guide to building a comprehensive job description.
- Retrieve and customize O*NET occupational data to include in your description.
- Edit the job description to your desired length and specifications.
How to use job descriptions
Once you’ve created a job description, it becomes the foundation for a wide variety of employment activities, including:
- Job specifications, ads, and internal postings
- Pre-screening and employment interviews
- Orientation and onboarding activities
- Training and career development activities
- Performance evaluations
- General HR planning
For help with writing job descriptions or other workforce issues, contact your local American Job Center to connect with a Business Services Representative or other resource.
Find State Resources