Need skilled workers? On-the-Job Training (OJT), a federal program funded by the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), lets you hire and train skilled workers and get reimbursed for your efforts.
As an employer, you’ll benefit from more efficient recruiting, more targeted training, and assistance with training expenses:
- OJT specialists help you find the right talent when you need it, reducing time, effort, and money spent on recruiting.
- The specific technical skills you need may be hard to find. OJT helps you train the right workers to meet your requirements.
- You receive up to 50% of the costs to provide on-the-job training for individuals you hire through the public workforce system.
Getting started with OJT
Because OJT offers a comprehensive training solution, you must meet certain criteria to participate. Steps in the process:
- Find out if you meet OJT employer criteria. Staff at your local American Job Center (AJC) can help you determine your eligibility.
- Before proceeding, you’ll sign a contract covering terms of the agreement, including positions to be trained, wages, and reimbursement.
- An OJT specialist will refer potential OJT candidates and help you fine-tune your training plan. You’ll always make the final hiring decision.
Need help with OJT or other workforce issues? Contact your local American Job Center to connect with a Business Services Representative or other resources that can help.