Skip to content
Logo Careeronestop
Credentials Center
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
A proud partner of the american job center network.


Data compiled and maintained by CareerOneStop and exclusively available on the CareerOneStop site.


Find current certifications for your occupation or industry. Use the filters at left to refine your results.

Search by Certification Name, Organization, Industry or Occupation
      List of Occupations
      List of Industries
      Certification Search Results: Certification Information
      Combination of Tank Vehicle and Hazardous Materials
      Certification Description
      The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation that is responsible for establishing standards for Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) operators, including the Commercial Driver's License (CDL). The minimum national CDL testing standards and licensing requirements established by FMCSA are administered by state driver licensing agencies when they issue a CDL. You are required to obtain and hold a CDL if you drive interstate, intrastate (within a state), or for foreign commerce and drive a vehicle that meets any of the classifications of a CDL. States develop their own tests which must meet the minimum federal standards, but which also may have standards unique to the state. To get a CDL, first you must get a commercial learner's permit. States can only issue learner's permits and CDLs to drivers after they pass knowledge exams and skills tests. You have to pass the CDL knowledge and skills tests for the class of license and type of endorsement required to operate the type of commercial vehicle you plan to drive. And, you have to take the skills test in a vehicle of the same type as the vehicle you plan to operate. For a quick reference of CDL Classes, see the CDL License Matrix.
      Certifying Organization
      Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
      Certification Details
      • More than two years of education or training after high school required?    No
      • More than two years of work experience required?    No
      • Oral or Written Exam Required?    Yes
      • Renewal Required?    Every 4 Year(s)
      • Renew through Continuing Educational Units(CEU)?    No
      • Renew through Re-Examination?    Yes
      • Renew through Continuing Professional Development(CPD)?    No
      • Does applicant have choice of at least two options from above for renewal (CEU, CPD, or exam)?    No
      Exam Details
      More Certification Information