Housing and energy

Housing and energy

Housing and energy

Do you need help paying your mortgage, rent, or home energy bills due to the pandemic?

If you have lost your job or income due to impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic, you may qualify for housing assistance-either reduced or deferred payments, without penalty to your credit rating.

For homeowners and rental property owners: Home owners may have the option to request a pause or reduction of their mortgage payments for up to 180 days. They also have the right to request and obtain an extension for up to an additional 180 days (a total of 360 days).

To access this assistance, ask your mortgage company for a forbearance plan due to financial hardship related to the pandemic. A plan will delay, not eliminate, your mortgage payments. Be sure to discuss details on repayment arrangements, for example, to extend the loan period to make up for skipped payments.

In addition, for many federally backed loans, lenders are prohibited from beginning foreclosure proceedings or finalizing a foreclosure judgment or sale before at least December 31, 2020. Learn more about mortgage relief options from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

For renters: On September 4, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued an order banning evictions for qualifying renters through December 31, 2020. See the order to learn details and find out if you are eligible. Renters must send a signed declaration to their landlords, and will still be responsible for payment of rent when this term ends. Read FAQs about the eviction moratorium, and find your state’s emergency rental assistance programs that may help you pay your rent.

If you live in federally-subsidized housing and your income has changed, you may qualify for a reduction in rent. Learn more about rent reduction from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

More resources for mortgage help

More resources for rental assistance

Help with energy bills

You might qualify for assistance from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. Each state operates their own LIHEAP program with their own eligibility guidelines. Find details about your State LIHEAP Program.

For information on where you can apply for LIHEAP, contact the National Energy Assistance Referral project by phone or e-mail:

  • Call toll-free at 1-866-674-6327 Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Mountain Time)
  • Send an e-mail to: energy@ncat.org