Your first impulse may be to surf the Web for job ads or grab the help-wanted section of the newspaper. But your job search will be more effective if you first take the time to create a plan.
Make a weekly or daily schedule of job search activities. This plan will help you keep on track during your search. Develop your own schedule by committing to at least some of the following activities:
Get help with your job search
- Find and contact your local American Job Center to talk with a counselor and learn what resources are available to help in your search.
Take assessments to identify your skills, interests, values, or other traits.
- Prepare your resume.
- Get in touch with your networking contacts.
- Attend support groups and job clubs in your area.
- Attend job search training sessions or related training.
Explore career options
Search for jobs
- Review electronic job search tools.
- Attend job fairs.
- Browse online job banks and newspaper job ads.