Banner: Food and family support

Food and family support

Food and family support

Find help taking care of your family as you transition to civilian employment.

There are several programs that can help you.


  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides low-income households with electronic benefits they can use like cash at most grocery stores. Learn how to apply for SNAP or use the Pre-Screening Tool to determine if you may be eligible to receive SNAP benefits.
  • The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program can provide food support for some supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant women, and to infants and children up to age five. Learn how to apply for WIC.
  • Free and reduced price school meals might also be available to your children. Learn how to apply for free and reduced price school meals.

Family support

If you have dependent children, you may qualify for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), which provides cash and other assistance to low-income families.

Each state runs its own TANF program with different rules and benefits. Find your state’s TANF program to learn more.

The National Resource Directory for veterans also lists family and caregiver support resources.