Banner: Housing and energy

Housing and energy

Housing and energy

Need help paying your mortgage, rent, or home energy bills?

Housing assistance

Veterans can find housing resources at the National Resource Directory. Find the "Search by Location" tool by scrolling down the page.

Buying a home

Find out if you qualify and how to apply for a VA home loan. VA home loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. The VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms

Mortgage help

Are you behind on your mortgage payments or in danger of losing your home?

Rental assistance

  • Learn about rental assistance by reading through these common questions on renting from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Affairs.
  • If you live in a rural area, you may qualify for rental assistance from the Housing and Community Facilities Programs. Contact your local office.

Energy assistance

Having trouble paying your home energy bills?

You might qualify for assistance from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. Find details about your State LIHEAP Program and your state's eligibility guidelines.

Further information on applying for LIHEAP may be available from the National Energy Assistance Referral project. Contact them by:

  • Calling the toll-free phone number 1-866-674-6327 Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Mountain Time).
  • Sending an e-mail to: