Planning is preparing a sequence of action steps to achieve some specific goal.
Remember, a plan is like a map. When following a plan, you can always see how much you have progressed towards your project goal and how far you are from your destination. Knowing where you are is essential for making good decisions on where to go or what to do next.
Looking for work can be a lot of work!
You will have the most success – and a shorter length of unemployment – if you start looking for work early and stay on task.
- Identify realistic, short-term steps toward your goal (a certain number of calls or contacts per day).
- Establish a schedule and deadlines (I will revise my resume by the end of this week; I will conduct internet searches to identify 10 companies that may have jobs matching my skills by next Wednesday; etc.).
- Put your time and energy into looking for jobs you truly want and are qualified for.
- Reward yourself for accomplishing your goals. This will help you stay motivated.
- Let each success propel you to the next step.