Employment resources for veterans and transitioning military
CareerOneStop’s Veteran and Military Transition Center
is a one-stop portal to help veterans and transitioning service members meet their career, education, and employment goals. Available via computer or mobile device, the portal combines unique interactive tools with information, resources, and references to the "Transition from Military to Civilian Workforce” Employment Workshop from the U.S. Department of Labor Veterans’ Employment and Training Service.
A highlight of the website is the Veterans Job Matcher
, an easy-to-use tool that helps veterans put their military experience to work in a civilian career. Users enter their military job title or code and receive a list of civilian careers that use similar skills and work experience as their military job. From there they can view civilian career information such as typical wages, training expectations, and job outlook, as well as links to job postings in their local area.
• Identify the best career fits by taking a skills or interest assessment, or by mapping military skills to civilian careers.
• Learn how civilian employment and workplaces differ from military employment.
• View career profiles and videos, find labor market information, or learn about starting a business.
• Learn about short-term training options including certification and other in-demand credentials.
• Identify apprenticeship programs and occupational licensing requirements in any state.
• Research and enroll in two- or four-year college programs.
• Plan and execute a job search, including networking and conducting employer research.
• Learn about the federal hiring process and veterans’ preference for some federal jobs.
• Craft a strong resume and access a variety of resume samples for ideas on how to translate military experience into civilian terms.
• Search job openings in any U.S. location, updated daily from several sources.
• Locate an American Job Center to access veteran-specific employment assistance.
• File for unemployment and other benefits.
• Obtain copies of military and other documents.