| License Description|
Massage Therapists engage in the physical, mechanical, or electrical manipulation of soft tissue for the therapeutic purposes of enhancing muscle relaxation, reducing stress, improving circulation, or instilling a greater sense of well-being. Massage therapy may include the use of oils, salt glows, heat lamps, and hydrotherapy.
Massage therapy shall not include diagnosis or treatment, or use of procedures for which a license to practice medicine, surgery, chiropractics, podiatry is required, nor the use of microwave diathermy, short wave diathermy, ultrasound, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, electrical stimulation of over thirty-five volts, neurological hyperstimulation, or spinal or joint adjustments.
1. Present proof of graduation from an approved massage therapy school. Approved massage therapy school means:
A. One which is approved by the Board;
B. One which requires for admission a diploma from an accredited high school or its equivalent;
C. One which has attached to its staff a regularly licensed physician and employs one or more competent Massage Therapists as instructors;
D. One which has a minimum requirement of a continuous course of study and training of not less than 1,000 hours distributed over a term of not less than nine months.
E. Such study and training shall consist of 100 hours of each of the following:
Hygiene & Practical Demonstration;
Health Service Management.
The remaining 300 hours shall be obtained in subject areas related to the clinical practice of massage therapy.
2. Pass an examination prescribed by the Board;
3. Provide satisfactory evidence that he or she is of good character;
4. Be at least 19 years of age;
5. Be either a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted into the United States who is eligible for a credential under the Uniform Credentialing Act, or a nonimmigrant who is lawfully present in the United States and who is eligible for a credential under the Uniform Credentialing Act.>h3>Fee Information
Initial License Examination- $110.00
Renewal is required biennially by November 1 of odd-numbered years. The renewal fee is $110.00.
Twenty-four hours of continuing education are required biennially to qualify for renewal.