| License Description|
Requirements for licensure by examination as a veterinary technician.
A. The applicant, in order to be licensed by the board as a veterinary technician, shall:
1. Have received a degree in veterinary technology from a college or school accredited by the AVMA or the CVMA.
2. Have filed with the board the following documents:
a. A complete and notarized application on a form obtained from the board;
b. An official copy, indicating a veterinary technology degree, of the applicant's college or school transcript; and
c. Certification that the applicant is in good standing by each board from which the applicant holds a license, certification or registration to practice veterinary technology.
3. Pass a board-approved, national board examination for veterinary technology with a score acceptable to the board.
4. Sign a statement attesting that the applicant has read, understands, and will abide by the statutes and regulations governing veterinary practice in Virginia.
B. The application for licensure shall be valid for a period of one year after the date of initial submission.
Requirements for licensure by endorsement for veterinary technicians.
In its discretion, the board may grant a license by endorsement to an applicant who is licensed, certified or registered to practice as a veterinary technician in another state, the District of Columbia or possessions or territories of the United States, provided that:
1. All licenses, certificates or registrations are in good standing;
2. The applicant has been regularly engaged in clinical practice for at least two of the past four years; and
3. The applicant has received a degree in veterinary technology from a college or school accredited by the AVMA or the CVMA or has passed a board-approved national board examination for veterinary technology with a score acceptable to the board.