Skip to Content
Logo Careeronestop
your source for career exploration, training & jobs
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
A proud partner of the american job center network.


Information on licensed occupations is gathered in each state by Labor Market Information units under a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor.


Search by Occupation, License Name, or Licensing Agency

      List of Occupations
      License Information
      School Social Worker
      License Description:

      School Social Workers diagnose student problems and arrange needed services, counsel children in trouble, and help integrate disabled children into the general school population. Deal with problems such as student pregnancy, misbehavior in class, and excessive absences and advise teachers on how to deal with problem students.

      Legislation: NH RSA 186; Administrative Rules Chapter Ed 507.14

      Certification Requirements:

      • Submit application for certification and non-refundable application fee
      • Master's level specialist program in social work, and meet school social work competencies
      • Alternative methods of qualification for certification:
        • Alternative 1: Completion of an approved program of professional preparation in social work
        • Alternative 2: Completion of a comparable program outside of New Hampshire

      Examination: Initial certification requires passing the PRAXIS I pre-professional skills test (PPST) and PRAXIS II, if applicable. The State Board has approved a composite score option for PRAXIS I. Candidates must have an overall score of 518 or higher and a minimum passing score of 172 for Reading; 170 for Writing; and 170 for Mathematics. PRAXIS I and PRAXIS II exemptions are allowed for educators with either a Master's degree or higher, or who have seven or more years of educational experience under a credential issued by another state.

      Continuing Education: Staff development totaling 75 clock hours (or alternative to clock hours) in the school district and/or school administrative unit staff development plan during the three-year certification period


      • Three-year certificate: $130
      • Three-year renewal: $130
      • Late filing fee: $50
        Exam fees are set by the exam administrator, Educational Testing Service (ETS)

      Reciprocity: Permitted in accordance with the NASDTEC Interstate Contract

      revised Jan 2018

      Licensing Agency:
      Bureau of Credentialing
      Division of Program Support
      NH Department of Education
      101 Pleasant Street
      Concord, NH 03301
      (603) 271 2409