Skip to Content
Logo Careeronestop
your source for career exploration, training & jobs
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
A proud partner of the american job center network.


Information on licensed occupations is gathered in each state by Labor Market Information units under a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor.


Search by Occupation, License Name, or Licensing Agency

      List of Occupations
      License Information
      Social Worker, Independent Clinical
      License Description:

      Independent Clinical Social Workers provide assistance to mentally or emotionally disturbed patients, collaborating with the psychiatric team in the diagnosis and treatment plan. Help patients to respond constructively to treatment and assist in adjustment leading to and following discharge. Interpret treatment to patient's family and help to reduce fear and other attitudes obstructing acceptance of care and treatment. Serve as a link between patient, psychiatric agency, and community.

      Legislation: NH RSA 330-A:18; Administrative Rules Chapter Mhp 100-500

      Licensure Requirements:

      • Two year Master's degree or Doctoral degree in social work from a school approved by the Council on Social Work Education
      • Two years or 3,000 hours of post-master's, supervised, paid clinical experience and 100 hours of supervision (one hour per week of individual face-to-face supervision)
      • Pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam (clinical level)

      Examination:  Written examinations required, both clinical level ASWB exam and essay exam

      Continuing Education: 40 hours of continuing education credits are required every two years, plus 20 hours of collaboration per year


      • Application review: $150
      • Second year license fee (submitted with application review fee): $135
      • Biennial renewal: $270
      • Inactive license (one year): $67.50
      • License reinstatement: $300

      Reciprocity: Not permitted

      revised Jan 2018

      Licensing Agency:
      Board of Mental Health Practice
      NH Office of Professional Licensure and Certification
      121 South Fruit Street
      Concord, NH 03301
      (603) 271 2702